1. Welcome back to you all. We all look forward to the Summer Term with what I hope will be some nice weather and some exciting events planned. We have a busy time ahead of us all (please make a note of the term dates which will be displayed on our website) and I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible during the term.
2. I do hope that not too many of you have been disrupted by the plane cancellations. As I write, we have seven staff still stranded abroad. Some are due back on Friday and others we hope will return early next week. I have organised an assortment of cover with both agency and ex-staff and friends of the school. All have been wonderfully supportive and willing to help and I ask that you do the same until ‘normal business is resumed’!
3. Miss Emily and her new husband, Ed, married earlier this month. Her new name is Poynter.
4. We will be taking Boots Factor 25+ sun cream to Games and all outings. Staff will apply sun cream to the boys at their discretion. If you would prefer your son NOT to use the school sun cream, please inform his teacher in writing.
5. Eaton House Summer Caps should be in school as part of the boys’ Games Kit. Kindergarten boys will be given their new caps shortly. Boys should continue to wear their normal caps to and from school. All boys should have boot bags at school to take outdoor shoes to and from games.
6. Sports Day – Tuesday 6th July 10.00am. A key date for your diaries! Further information will be sent out nearer the time but if you are new to Eaton House, please make sure that you are able to watch and photograph/video the impressive ‘Blazers Off’ at the beginning of Sports Day. There will be the usual parents’ 3-legged race, so do get practising! As is the tradition, Mr Cooke is keen for old boys to help if, of course, they are on official leave from school.
7. Please make sure that contact details are up to date.
8. Please note that the Kindergartens should not be in school on Friday 11th June, as we have new boys visiting on that day.
9. Y3 boys are granted a rare but nonetheless necessary day off on Tuesday 15th June after PGL and a half day on Friday 21st May after Hill End. Collection is at 12.00pm in advance of the school play on Thursday May 13th and boys should not come into school until 10.30am on Friday 14th May.
The above leave is helpful to the running of the school as well as of benefit to the particular year groups. However, I strongly urge you NOT to take any other extra leave from school. I also ask that boys in any year group are not taken out of school early at the end of term.
Whilst I understand that siblings might have different end of term dates, it is important that all boys have the opportunity to experience the end of term and final year end assembly together. This is something that we very much value at Eaton House and boys will only have four chances to experience this before leaving us!
10. Please note the date of the Book Fair on Wednesday 23rd June. This will be running throughout the day. The Golden Treasury Book shop will man the sale all day and boys and parents will be encouraged to visit. There will be more information to follow and no doubt a request for helpers to offer their support at anytime during the day or evening.
11. Boys are being encouraged to learn €˜Life Skills’. These include being able to do up top buttons, tie shoe laces and know their home phone numbers, for example. Please help your sons with these valuable skills.
12. From now on, Mr Cooke will email team lists and match letters to parents. A copy will also be displayed in the No. 3 entrance hall.
13. There will be an opportunity for families to have €˜Mothers and Sons’ photographs taken on Wednesday 26th May. Some of you may wish to give these to fathers (some time in June…). Whatever the occasion, this will be a nice opportunity for you and the boys.
14. Think-a-link workshop, Friday 30th April. This is an exciting new workshop for the whole school focusing upon ‘a fun and easy way to learn and remember things’. www.thinkalink.co.uk. Details such as costs will be sent out in due course.
15. We have our usual number of theme days and events such as Maths Day and International Day; volunteers always welcome!
16. Please continue to bring in used postage stamps for the RSPB, collection box in the No. 3 hall.
17. There will not be any clubs on Wednesday 23rd June because of Parents’ Evening.
18. Please help to keep the boys €˜green’ by not sending in break with unnecessary packaging.
19. A reminder plea about naming all of your son’s uniform, kit and shoes…
As ever, if there is anything that you wish to discuss with myself or any of the staff, regarding the welfare of your son, please do contact us.
I look forward to seeing you all soon.
Miss Lucy Watts